Monday, September 17, 2012

Easy Cajun Shrimp & Sausage Boil


Last weekend we really just chilled out and had a great time alone. This weekend it was utter chaos, we didn't get to stop for much. Married a couple, went to dinner with a couple, had marriage counseling with another couple, cooked for the kids after church. Run, then run again. I feel like it was productive but I miss my long lazy weekends. Well, enough whining. The other day my sweet Momma was telling me about what she was making for dinner. It sounded fabulous, shrimp boiled in crab boil and beer. With sausage in it. Now how could that not be good? This shrimp kept popping up in my mind for a week or 2 until I knew I just had to do it. I had to get my hankering to stop. Boy was this the bomb! It was so fast and easy but the taste was spectacular. You will notice I didn't photo the beer. Beer doesn't need publicity. You can sneak into a gas station and buy the cheapest single you can find and it will work perfect. Nothing high fluting. Just a can beer. Thats all. Im not a fan of beer but I do think it makes some great flavors when cooking. So are ya'll ready to spice it up the Sassy way? Here we go. Let me teach ya how to do this thang!​



Ingredients:

​2 pounds medium count shrimp, not cooked with shells on
1 pkg of crab boil​
1 canned beer​
1 package of little potatoes- I choose a fingerling medley of red, purple and gold ​
1 pkg of frozen corn on the cob ( we omitted due to health issues)​
1 package of smoked sausage. ​



Get your big pot rolling with boiling water. Pour in that beer. Don't you drink any of it. Into the pot! Then pour in the crab boil. I used half a pack cause we don't like super spicy.​ Get that crab boil rolling really well. While the pot is coming to a boil cut the sausage up into 1 1/2 inch slices. Not too big or little .. think hunks. Also scrub up your taters and be sure they are clean. If the shrimp are frozen run them under a little COLD WATER. Ya'll if it's lukewarm or hot it will begin to cook your shrimp and they will be tough. FYI. So once that pot is boiling well the first thing we pop in is the sausage. Let it boil on a high roll for 12 mins. After that throw in your corn if you want to and boil 7 mins. We skipped cause hubby can't eat it. I went straight to the potatoes. Cook potatoes 8-10 mins or until soft when pricked with a knife. Not mushy tho, just able to prick easily . Add your shrimp for 3-4 mins. Use your kitchen timer. The time is important. Once the 4 mins are up, cover your pot with a lid, remove from the burner and let steep 2 mins then drain. I ice our shrimp cause we like them cold, but you can serve however you prefer. Eat and enjoy. Peel the shrimp for all you people that don't know. Im not taking anything for granted,. Take the shells off and don't eat the tails! ;) Yummmm

 
 
 
​See.. those sausage are soaking up the spice. Keep your water rolling boiling hot the whole time ok ya'll? You gotta use a really big pot so it doesn't boil over. Thats another little tip for you.
 

 
 
After you've followed the times provided for boiling all the ingredients don't forget to put the lid on them, move off the heat and allow to steep for 2 -4 mins before you drain them into a colander. You know, it's the bowl with the holes and handles on the sides? One of those. Now this blog is for beginners so be patient with the sassybabies who are just learning. We try to be very specific. It's for a reason.​ Some of us really need this additonal info.

 
Now look at that. Isn't it a beautiful thing. I mean impressive. Easy- your man will thank you. Yes I have been called a marriage miracle worker. Cook for him girls. Every man wants you too. I promise. You will get your SassyBelle badge with this one. Just follow the times and directions exactly. The main thing to watch for is not overcooking the shrimp. They will start changing bright color and will curl. They are delicate. No body likes rubbery shrimp. Most newbies think they can't possibly be done that fast. They are. Easy does it!​

 
Serve it up on a nice platter, with some lemon slices. Pull out the cocktail sauce and baby you gonna wow them. This is definitely an easy to do, big results recipe. Stay Sassy ya'll! BTW, did I tell you how delicious this was. Oh my goodness. Gonna make it again soon. Let me know if you make this! Please use the share button down in the bottom right corner!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment