Thursday, September 13, 2012

Buttermilk Biscuits aka World Famous Boyfriend Biscuits


So those of you who know me have learned by now that Hubs is a huge breakfast man. He and my son in law love a huge brunch just about better than anything in the world. The piece de resistance is always my buttermilk biscuits. I must admit, biscuit baking is an art all its own. You really have to practice to get the hang of it. Several factors come into play when making a great biscuit. 1. The skillet. You gotta have a well seasoned cast iron skillet that is only for making biscuits. The only other thing I use this skillet for is cornbread. I guard it like chunky kid waiting on cake at a birthday party. YOU CAN NOT GET THIS SKILLET WET! Let me repeat myself girls. NEVER EVER EVER WASH YOUR BISCUIT SKILLET. I have other cast iron that I do wash etc but not my biscuit skillet. Afterwards you simply wipe out with a dry clean cloth and put away. Simple! You got it? Ok. If you have a good skillet and follow my recipe the way I prepare them biscuits sticking in your pan shouldn't ever be a problem. 2. Be sure they are wet enough. When you first handle the dough you want it to stick to your hands, then you roll the flour in later to make them firmer. 3. Don't over handle the biscuits. They are kinda fragile. Like a newborn baby. Be gentle. Knead in additional flour gently. The more you turn and pound the shorter they will be. So to have high rising fluffy biscuits, less touching is more. Just get the dough to were you can pinch it off and make a nice round disc without it still being so wet it sticks all over your hand. Easy does it.
Ya'll ready. Im about to give you a secret weapon that renders all mankind weak in the knees and googled eyed. Yes, these are how to catch a man biscuits. I am giving you a southernbelle tool that all women need. This will work even for Yankee Belles. Ok, so here we go. Im baring my soul to you. Take a look at these beauties! ​
 
 
 
By the way that one in the back doesn't have a mole, it's a pat of melting butter. Oh yes mam, if you are gonna do these bad boys you top em with butter ! Thats an order girls.

Ingredients:​

​2 cups SELF RISING FLOUR - be sure it's self rising
​1 stick of butter, not margarine left out over night to soften
​3/4 -1 cup of buttermilk, start with smaller amount then add if needed
​3 tbsps of vegetable oil to add to skillet so biscuits will brown
Additional flour on a sheet to knead biscuits gently​

Directions:

​Preheat oven to 425 F. Add oil to bottom of skillet as shown in pic below. In a large mixing bowl add butter and 2 cups flour. Cut in with pastry blender or a knife and fork. Once butter and flour resemble a coarse meal add in buttermilk. Stir just until ingredients form soft dough and are leaving sides of bowl. You may need to add additional buttermilk if dough is too dry. Just a little at a time. It's better to be too wet than too dry before you roll out so they won't be tough. Once dough is ready, turn out onto a floured surface and knead in additIonal dough. Softly until a nice dough forms. Don't make the dough to stiff. It should feel like soft soft play dough. Pinch into the size biscuits desired, place in pan with sides touching. Bake at 425F for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Don't over bake. Allow to cool then cover skillet with a round plate, flip upside down to turn out of skillet. Enjoy!
 
STEP BY STEP PICTURE TUTORIAL​
 
Here's the humble cast of ingredients. Yes I do use generic items a lot. the butter, the buttermilk and the vegetable oil ( I seldom use vegetable oil​ so cheap works) Just these 4 little ingredients transform you into the most irresistible woman in the South. Try to have makeup on and a cute sassy apron too! Oh Lawd, they won't know what hit em!
 
 

This is the biscuit skillet. I know how it looks. Trust me. Wipe it then leave it alone. You add the oil to the bottom for multi-purposes. 1. Makes the bottom of the biscuits slightly flaky golden.2. Keeps them from sticking. 3. Keeps the pan seasoned. Ta Da!​

 
 
 
Here we go. Cut the butter in the flour. This is a pastry blender. If you don't have one use a fork and knife and cut it up till the butter is consistently smaller than little peas.​
 
 
 
 
 
Pour in your milk and then mix until the dough is looking good, pulling away from the side of the bowl. Like this.​



Thats the way it's supposed to look. It's ok if it's sticky , you are about to turn it out and gently knead it. Soft and slow..​
 
 
Good job, at this point if you are like me you gotta be careful and on the watch cause the Biscuit Bandit shows up and mercilessly begins to bang into my leg hoping I'll drop something.​


 
​She still hasn't understood that the biscuits don't taste good until they come out of the oven. Continue on my fair ladies. Now we pinch and pat our dough into biscuits. I don't know how to explain how i do this. I pinch of a hunk between thumb and index which makes a nice top, then I pat the underside. Whatever you do, don't over pat them. They will deflate. Just gentle little rounds. Put them in the skillet with the sides touching each other

 
At this point you are almost there. Hopefully you did preheat the oven. Time to give these beauties a nice little golden glow. Pop em in the oven for 12-14 mins. Keep an eye on them after about 8. Use your oven light if you can .. try not to open the door. Start cleaning up the mess. I try to clean as I go. When i finish an ingredient I try to put it up immediately if I know Im through with it. I hate the clean up. With practice you'll be able to whip these out in less than 20 mins prep time. I can make them in about 10 but I've been doing this for awhile. Don't hate! Appreciate!​

 

No comments:

Post a Comment