Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Queso Fundido

Queso Fundido
​This is a really true Mexican recipe. I've served this to guests and they look at me like what in the world are you doing? But then once they taste it we never have enough to satisy everyone at the table. This is the perfect compliment to my tortilla soup recipe. It has been by far the biggest "winner" recipe I've posted. People love it. Well wait until you pair it with some queso fundido, thats "melted cheese". This is so simple it really isn't a recipe. All you do is melt some cheese in a little bit of olive oil until it's golden bubbly then slap it into a warm flour tortilla. OMgeeze. It's good. The first time I ever ate this I was probably 19 years old in Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico. Our neighbors who were so shocked to have a super young, super white couple living next to them invited us out to a smancy fancy steakhouse. I still remember not knowing if I was dressed appropriately. He was an engineer for an american oil company, she was a dignified "Latin " lady who was raising her children. I grew to love Santiago, and especially Yolanda so very much. I mean why wouldn't you love them? They were warm, hostpitable, friendly and they introduced us to Queso Fundido at the Rancho Viejo. It was love at first taste. ​Here's how you do this thing, Get a little iron skillet. Turn your oven on 400. Get ready to sing " I just died in your arms tonight!" when you taste this!




 
 
I've had this tiny little castiron skillet for awhile. It's traveled the world, literally. From way back when I first got married. Awww. It's 25 years old. Still in good shape! Now, grab some olive oil while the oven is heating up.. and drizzle it into your skillet just like this!​
 
 
 
Now you need to grab your cheese. A good white mexican cheese. Down south we used Queso Oaxaca but you can't really find that here in our gringolandia. So I choose a Cacique Quesadilla or Queso Manchego, or Chihuhua. Just a good meltable white mexican cheese. Or if you can't find it montery jack works just as good. Now chop that cheese up and filler to the brim!
 
 
Now once you've got the skillet full ( as you can see I added some italian cheese I had in the fridge too. Just pop it in the oven and keep an eye on it. This goes fast. You need to have your tortillas warm and ready and some good red salsa too. Have it and your "eaters" on stand by cause you want to eat this immediately so the cheese is all melty. Watch it for about 15 minutes. Once it gets good and bubbly, and slightly golden get ready to pull it out. On your mark, get set, make a cheese "taco" and EAT! Now savor that. Wow, nothing else compares. It just whoops the dog out of a quesadilla in my opinion. MMMM now that's MUY Bueno! Try this and tell me what ya'll think. And I so miss my friends. We spent 6 great years together. Thank God for people like them that took us in and became family to us!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment