Friday, September 21, 2012

Angel's Vodka Pasta


I saw Rachael Ray make something kinda like this the other day on tv. I don't know if it's the geographical difference in food tastes but I'm not a terribly huge fan. I saw this dish and thought hmm I'm gonna do this my way. Here's my interpretation of a vodka pasta recipe. My Way.. I did it my way.. hear that music as you read this. Ok well here goes.. btw, the men folk around here ate this but said , aw just fix your spaghetti and meat sauce next time. I must tell the truth. bah. Not what you want to hear after you've spent that much time cooking. But at least they are good honest feedback. I still thought this was fab enough to share the recipe.


Ingredients:
​1 pkg turkey sausage
1 small pkg ground beef, I subbed venison​
1/2 onion chopped​
2 tsp garlic chopped​
1 tbsp butter​
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil​
3 cups dried pasta or 1 lrg package I did macaroni​
​1 cup chicken broth
1 cup vodka ​
1 cup half and half​
1 can 28 0z crushed tomatoes​
1 can 14.5 oz fire roasted diced tomatoes , drained​
1/2 can tomato paste​
1/2 tsp salt, black pepper​
pinch of red pepper flakes​
2 tbps fresh chopped basil​
1 - 2 cups grated parmesan cheese​
​Saute your onions in the butter, add garlic and cook 2 minutes until sweated but not brain. Brown your meats and drain. Start your water boiling for your pasta and add salt and olive oil.
Add your meats back to the skillet and add your broth and vodka, along with all the tomato ingredients and salt and pepper,, and red pepper flakes.​ Simmer together for about 20 mins on medium low heat so vodka cooks off.
​Cook the pasta according to package directs, al dente and drain. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350F
Add the basil to the meat sauce and let cook for 4 minutes, then add the cream. Cook on medium for an additional 5 minutes and let cool.​ Let sauce rest 5-10 minutes or if you want to serve later- mix pasta and noodles together ( This is what I did then cooked the following day after church as a casserole) Serve or if preferred turn into a greased large casserole pan and top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 20 minutes on 350 or until cheese is melted and golden brown.
 
 
First steps are get those veggies nice and done.. See.. don't burn em brown. Just cooked through. Now add both meats and brown. Be sure you drain under hot water to take off the extra grease ( health tip ) shake off excess water. Put meat back in same skillet. Now add the broth, vodka, and all the tomato products. Add a little water if you need it. Season with salt and peppers. Let simmer 20 mins or so on medium heat.

 
Now it's getting time to get your oven heated at 350 and to boil that pasta. Get the water to a rolling bowl, add salt and olive oil. Cook the noodles according to package directions, about 6-8 minutes for al dente. Drain and set aside.

P​ut in the basil. Look how pretty. This is the magic. Yum. Well that and the vodka. Just get the teensy one. No big vodkas--ya heard me? ok. Then simmer it for a few more minutes. Get out a casserole dish or plates depending how you want to serve it. I made this the day before and served it after church the next day. Easy. ​

​Look how pretty the sauce gets! Add your cream and it will turn this color. Looks gorgeous all put together. This made a huge pan for us. After you've cooked the cream for a few minutes over low medium heat let the sauce rest. Then pour your sauce into your drained noodles and put into a greased casserole dish. Pour the cheese on top!​
Now my Sassy Belles and Beauxs this is a thing of beauty. Oh yes. Gorgeous. Breathtaking. Man does it smell good, get in my belly great while it's cooking. Just get it nice and golden brown and you are gonna be the queen of the castle or king of the hill! check out the final finished product. They wiped it out so fast I didn't get to get a plate pic. Now you know that's good! ;)​

 

No comments:

Post a Comment